Trail Running in Croatia
Beach holidays and sun-loungers not the right getaway for you? Then a running trip to Croatia could be on the cards. With the country’s warm climate, challenging routes and scenic views, there’s no better place to feel the thrill of an activity holiday.
Perfect for climbers of all abilities with the country’s rough, flat pebbled ground and mountain trails, Croatia offers climbers the chance to experience stunning views, and sensational circuits; giving runners Instagram-worthy photo opportunities.
While you may think that running holidays require little equipment, the courses that trail runners often encounter throw up some challenging obstacles such as steep mountain cliffs, rough forest terrain and sometimes, water. Routes like these demand tougher, sturdier equipment.
- Some of these tools include heavy down jackets, rain gear, hydration packs, GPS trackers and, mountaineering boots for when a little more grip is required. Although all of this equipment can be easily transported in a large duffle bag, there is a high chance of damage to the various items in your bag.
- With carrying a mixture of plastic, rubber, metal and lycra, there’s a risk of tearing your equipment, so it’s important to keep your things separately. Put to use your stretchy dry bags to help keep the items apart, as these bags have thick lining on the inside to avoid penetration, particularly from sharper objects such as the tread on your boots.
- Your baggage won’t be heavy, so it shouldn’t cost anything extra to board the plane and sometimes you might even get your things checked in as hand luggage. However, depending on your airline and destination, the advised size of your carry on might differ, so check before boarding.
- Though the weather in Croatia is likely to be quite fine, you can never be too sure you won’t experience some odd weather when trail climbing, particularly at higher altitudes at certain times of year. To save space when packing your all-weather running clothes, vacuum bags that remove air from clothes are a must-buy.
Where to run
Meet local runners and enrich your stay in Croatia.
- Choose your airline.
- Check for restricted materials or objects for your designated airline.
- Check the weight of your baggage does not exceed airline limits.
Keeping Your Equipment Secure
- Check your baggage is adequately labelled.
- Check your baggage is surely padlocked.
- Check your equipment is covered on the airline policy.
- Check for any hidden costs.
For a restful night’s sleep once your jam-packed day has ended, take a look at our range of stunning villas in the Algarve, Majorca and Croatia